Thursday, July 7, 2011

Why I Live Alone

I like Jerry Seinfeld. I think he's very funny.
In one of the bits I really like, he talks about the difference between living alone and with another person.
When you're alone, you're the president, the king, the dictator-for-life. You do what you want to do, when you want to do it. But when you live with another person, you become part of a vast decision making body that examines the issue from every angle before tabling the discussion for further review at some point in the distant future.
Since coming home, I've had to live that difference.
When I was in Korea, I became used to a certain schedule, one that did not involve getting up early and attacking the household chores with a will.
It's not that I won't help out around the house, but I'm not a mind reader. If somebody wants me to do something for them, all they have to do is ask.
And then when I do go ahead and do something, do you think it would kill a person to say thank you? Well, I guess it would.
If I cut the grass, I get shown the single blades that I missed.
If I dust, I'm told that a person could write their initials on the surfaces.
If I iron, the wrinkles I missed are catalogued and added to the list.
I remember once getting all excited and cleaning my house from top to bottom because my folks were visiting. My mom straightened me out when she got there. It was so dirty (in her eyes), I should've been ashamed to allow anybody to see it.
Sheesh.
I guess I should've expected it. My mom cleans the house to get it ready for the cleaning lady.
So I like to live on my own, go at my own speed, and live by my own rules.
Now, as to why I've never married, that is another series of posts.

1 comment: