Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thursday, July 7

We had a terrific storm here today, one of the worst I've seen in a while. I saw the clouds boiling up when I went for my afternoon walk. They were coming from the southwest and spreading out across the town. I wondered if I would get home before it broke (I did).
It was humid, as well. Reminded me of Korea a bit, though it was nowhere near as bad as that.
It started to rain just as I got home, about three o'clock. It wasn't raining too hard at first, but it gradually picked up speed as the clouds began to swirl around the area, and the lightning began to flash. The time between flashes and the following thunder got smaller and smaller, and at one point it was almost a continuous roar.
The rain really picked up, and hail started to fall, as well. I went out back and turned the rain barrel over, so it would catch the runoff from the gutter.
It was full in about five minutes.
The rain continued until about six. It would slack off and then return, more furious than before. My dad was worried about the hail denting the roof of his new vehicle, but it came through okay.
It wasn't until later that we heard a tornado had touched down 10-15 miles south of town. A friend of mine has a cabin near there, but he says they didn't receive even a drop of rain.
It reminded me of the first issue of "The Dark Knight Returns," when a terrible thunderstorm hit Gotham just about the time that The Batman returned from a ten year absence.
"Like the wrath of God, it's heading straight for the city."
I was going to suit up and wreak havoc on the underworld, but the rum tasted good, and then the pizza arrived.
Maybe tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. They were just talking about the weather system that hit your area on the news.

    Did it rain in northern Alberta? Would be nice to see those fires put out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's quite a system moving through the west right now. They're talking about rain east of Edmonton, so maybe those fires'll get doused. the problem is they're looking out for tornadoes, as well.

    ReplyDelete