Monday, July 25, 2011

Family Weekend

Our family assembled at the hospital in Red Deer at 9:00 a.m. for a meeting with the various therapists helping rehabilitate my mom, to hear their assessments of where we are and where we're going from here.
In order to get there for the meeting, I got myself up, shat, showered, and shaved, and then fixed breakfast for my dad and brother. I guess we were kind of late, because dad was shoving us out the door before we could even clean up from breakfast. I didn't even have time to put makeup on my infected areas.
We met my sister there in my mom's room and went round to the conference room. There was a supervisor, a physical therapist, an occupational therapist, and a different kind of occupational therapist.
The physio guy said mom was making good progress, but would like to work with her for another month (at least). The occupational gal talked about her mental progress, and mentioned a previous test done just when she'd been moved out of ICU. It had a fairly low score. We think it was because she was still fairly disoriented and full of drugs. This o.g. said mom still wasn't 100% and wanted to get her doing tasks like cooking and so on to make sure that she could operate at home okay. There was some talk of how my mom tries to do too much, which I can see. She's always on the go, always thinking about what needs to be done, what needs to be done next, and what needs to be done after that.
My dad said later that he didn't like this woman or her assessment. He thought she was too negative. I was willing to defer to her judgement, and didn't find too much wrong with what she had to say.
The third therapist just talked about getting mom involved in the various activities they did on the ward as a way to help facilitate her re-entry to the world outside.
So, as far as the hospital goes, mom is about a month away from coming home for good.
She did come home that day, just for the weekend. She wasn't up to doing a lot, as she was just too physically handicapped. She could wheel herself around in a wheel chair. She could walk with a walker. She could climb stairs but slowly.
She wasn't feeling too good the whole weekend, and slept a lot of the time, or laid down on the couch and watched TV. We tried to get her to maybe come outside onto the deck or maybe take a walk, but couldn't entice her.
My sister went to pick up our oldest sister that night, and they came back on Saturday. Friday, I barbecued steaks, and my older sister made a curry on Sat and then a pork roast for Sunday dinner. We all ate well.
Mom and dad slept in their room, I continued to sleep in my room, and my brother has been sleeping in the Batman-cave. My sisters slept in a cabin at the golf course which a friend of my dad's leant us. My sisters said it was a real nice place.
There was a lot of laughter, tomfoolery, and reminiscing about old times.
But now it's over. My sister's went to visit mom in the hospital (she returned there Sunday night), and from there, they'll be heading home (one to Vancouver, and the other to Lloydminister).
I've been cleaning up and doing laundry this afternoon, while my brother gets ready to sell some barn wood and my dad does yard work.
It was all right, as family weekends go. They don't happen very frequently these days, so we try to enjoy them as much as families who know where everyone's buttons are can.

1 comment:

  1. Sound like a good time with your family. Still hoping for a full recovery for your mom.

    ReplyDelete