Friday, May 17, 2013

May Update

Well.
My two year course of study has been successfully completed. I now have a Bachelor of Education to go with my Bachelor of Arts. I enjoyed studying at the school. The professors were smart and friendly, and because there were only 24 students in the entire class, there was a lot of access to them. I think there are sumpn like 250 students in the University of Calgary's class. Talk about the school as a factory!
So now I have an interim certificate which lets me teach in Alberta, which means I'm starting the tricky part - finding a job. The government has been cutting a lot of funds for education lately, and a lot of teachers who were employed are now looking for work. A newbie like me has to overcome a lot of obstacles before finding work.
Sigh.
But before I do that, I'm going to Africa to do a one month internship at a school set up to help out disadvantaged and at risk youth. Originally, the place I was going to was the Mully Children's Family, set up and run by a man named Charles Mulli.
His story is quite something. He was an abused child himself. His father was a drunk who beat him and his mother. Charles was sent out to relatives to make his way in the world, and he did quite well for himself. He became fairly wealthy, with a big family of his own. He had many businesses and was ... comfortable. But he did what the rich man couldn't do - he gave it all up to help those less fortunate.
I say that I was going there. Unfortunately, there was a lot of rain there which caused flooding at the school, so now I and the other members of the team are going to another school. It is at a place called Nyahururu, and it looks to be as close to the centre of Kenya as makes no never mind. I will be reporting more on what we will do there, and put up some photos as well. We plan to take in a safari at a game park called the Masai Mara. It is going to be very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment