Friday, June 1, 2012

Unfriended

I've been pissing a lot of Facebook friends off  these days.
A little while ago, one friend posted a link about a burned baby. It said if you clicked on "Like" or "Share," Facebook would donate a dollar to help with her recovery. Well, I had previously been sent an e-mail with the same appeal for help from my aunt, who has never seen a chain letter she didn't like. I had looked up the true facts about this burn victim's case, which I found here: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/burned-baby-email.html
I attached this link to my friend's post, warning him it was a hoax, and sat back and waited for his profuse thanks.
Oddly, he wasn't happy.
A few days later, he posted a general appeal to all of his friends (no one person in particular being singled out), that asked them to take him off their list if they did not want him as a friend. He had certain beliefs that he was true to, and couldn't stand to have friends who questioned his commitment, and so on.
It was an amazing performance.
He really does have a social conscience, but I wondered why he was all bent out of shape about being shown that not all the causes he supports are genuine. Wouldn't it be better to support something real? Wouldn't it be better to direct your energies to the truth than some imagined, and indeed maliciously faked, cause?
I thought so, but it seems we don't share the same idea.
Oh well.
Another friend I pissed off was my niece's boyfriend, who is a big Fishhead fan. In regard to the Stanley Cup finals, I commented that it was the Devils and the Kings, and I wondered what other teams were doing?.
Oh yeah...

Well, I thought it was funny, but he went off on a rant about how the Fishheads had been President's Trophy winners (twice), had a coach who had brought them to the Finals, and blah blah blah.
Another amazing performance. 
I must say it is gratifying when someone shows you their vulnerable spot, and your efforts to tickle their vanity is rewarded.
Hee hee hee.
My latest transgression involves mine and Flint's mutual friend, Oz.
Lately he's been posting a lot of sports related stories, trying to show what he thinks are the best and most physically demanding sports. One of them rated them according to physical demands, etc. and said that water polo is the toughest sport. OK fine, but who watches water polo?
Another post showed the 10 Best Cricket Catches. The tough part comes in when you consider these catches are made without a glove, like in baseball.
Again, that's fine, but who the fuck watches cricket?
So I commented, "Yeah okay, but explain the rules in 25 words or less."
Oz posted, "stupid comment," and I replied, "stupid game."
A couple of days later, I noticed Oz was no longer listed among my Facebook friends. No explanation, he was just gone.
I've thought a lot about what it means to be a friend, mainly because lately I seem to be having a lot of trouble hanging on to them.
I think a friend accepts you for who you are, no matter what personal foibles you have.
Philo Beddoe's pal Orville went off on him once, and said, "You're allowed to be mad at your friends, you know! That's if they are!"
Philo replied that they can, and you are.

And look at the way Jay abuses Silent Bob.
I guess some people are too sensitive, but I can't do anything about that. I've always said that if somebody doesn't want to be my friend, they can fuck off.
I think those that remain show their quality.
Nuff said.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I am still boggled by it. I have no problem with people cracking wise about Hockey in general or the Habs in particular.

    As you mentioned off blog, it does sound like the way Hilda would have acted. Which is both surprising and a shame. I never thought of Oz as someone who would react like that. Telling someone off yeah, probably forcefully, but that? Strange days indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I was prepared for a tongue lashing, but this... I'm just bum-puzzled.

    ReplyDelete